Re: Mathematica performance improvements

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89914] Re: Mathematica performance improvements
  • From: Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 03:30:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Jun 23, 12:51 am, Syd Geraghty <sydgerag... at mac.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A private communication made me aware that not everyone is familiar
> with the MathematicaMark Benchmark that has been distributed with Mathemat=
ica
> for the last several versions.
>
> It can be found in the Documentation Center in guide/SystemInformation  =

> in the section at the bottom called More About
>
>  >>> MathematicaMark Benchmark
>
> It is very nice as it reports your system performance versus other
> configurations of hardware & OSs.
>
> HTH.
>
> Cheers ... Syd
>
> Syd Geraghty B.Sc, M.Sc.
>
> sydgerag... at mac.com
>
> Mathematica 6.0.3 for Mac OS X x86 (64 - bit) (21st May, 2008)
> MacOS X V 10.5.2
> MacBook Pro 2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo  2GB RAM
>
> On Jun 22, 2008, at 12:24 AM, Syd Geraghty wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > Some may be interested in the three successive benchmarks below run on
> > my MacBook Pro starting with Mathematica 5.2 in Jan 2007.
>
> > {
> >  {"Machine Name:", "syd-geraghtys-computer"},
> >  {"System:", "Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)"},
> >  {"Date:", "January 8, 2007"},
> >  {"Mathematica Version:", "5.2.2"},
> >  {"Benchmark Result:", "1.76"}
> > }
>
> > {
> >  {"Machine Name:", "syd-geraghtys-computer"},
> >  {"System:", "Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)"},
> >  {"Date:", "May 7, 2007"},
> >  {"Mathematica Version:", "6.0.0"},
> >  {"Benchmark Result:", "1.67"}
> > }
>
> > {
> >  {"Machine Name:", "syds-macbook-pro"},
> >  {"System:", "Mac OS X x86 (64-bit)"},
> >  {"Date:", "June 19, 2008"},
> >  {"Mathematica Version:", "6.0.3"},
> >  {"Benchmark Result:", "1.94"}
> > }
>
> > The latest result with just installed Mathematica 6.0.3 is an
> > impressive
> > performance increase.
>
> > I cannot wait for the new Mac Snow Leopard OS with enhanced support
> > for multiple processors and the next version of Mathematica which
> > will (I
> > heard in one of the WRI online seminars) be optimised for
> > multiprocessor operation in the standard distribution.
>
> > A great reason to buy a new 8 processor Mac Pro sometime soon.
>
> > I also conjecture that multiple GPUs will be incorporated into the mix
> > in a year or so leading to many Teraflop performance.
>
> > (Intel, nVidia, Apple have all talked publicly about GPUs and C
> > compilers to support them).
>
> > Any inputs from MathGroup or WRI welcome.
>
> > Cheers ... Syd
>
> > Syd Geraghty B.Sc, M.Sc.
>
> > sydgerag... at mac.com
>
> > Mathematica 6.0.3 for Mac OS X x86 (64 - bit) (21st May, 2008)
> > MacOS X V 10.5.2
> > MacBook Pro 2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo  2GB RAM

Any idea why the Mac OS X systems are slower than Windows & Linux
systems in Test 5 of the Benchmark program? Perhaps the trig and
exponential functions is much better written on Windows & Linux? Is
there a better written trig and exponential functions on Mac OS X???
Is this a Mathematica issue or an OS issue??

The Test 5 code is:

Module[{m1, m2},
 Timing[SeedRandom[1]; m1 = RandomArray[Real, {}, {2000000}];
  m2 = RandomArray[Real, {}, {2000000}];
  Do[E^m1; Sin[m1]; ArcTan[m1, m2], {30}]]]

My system is a MacPro with 2 dual-processors and the test total for it
is 37.4, but a Windows system (does not say which version) with the
same processor config has a score of 30.4 and almost all the
difference is in the "Test 5" results (4.03 seconds for Windows and
10.3 for my Mac). Also the Windows says it's 32-bit and the Mac is 64-
bit. I found an older version of Mathematica (v 6.0.1) which had a 32-
bit MathKernel and also ran it, and the timing for the Test 5 was
11.60 for my MacPro so it's within 10% of the 6.0.3 64-bit number, so
there is still a big difference between the Windows and Mac OS X
timings for this test. Even an old 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 had a timing of
7.50 under Windows XP.

Any ideas or explanations why the big difference???

Thanks for any help...

-Bob