Re: Export PDF plot or Save Selection As -- big troubles with

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89999] Re: Export PDF plot or Save Selection As -- big troubles with
  • From: ragfield <ragfield at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 04:41:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Jun 25, 5:33 am, AES <sieg... at stanford.edu> wrote:
> Create a combined Plot/ListPlot in 6 using Show having some lines with
> their Thickness[] increased, some points with their PointSize[]
> increased.
>
> Export plot as PDF or Select either the plot itself or the complete cell
> and Save As Selection. Open saved file in Acrobat; it looks fine (though
> document size is not what I want; it's just big enough to enclose the
> plot, and I'd like letter size).

Save Selection As > PDF will create a PDF file with a tight bounding
box around the selection.  Save As > PDF will create a PDF file whose
size matches your selected paper size.

> Open same file in Illustrator CS 11.0.0 on Mac (only way I know to
> change document or artboard size of a PDF file).  Plot looks horrible:
> Line thicknesses are hugely thickened (though axes and frame seem OK);
> point sizes, oddly, seem OK; text size for tick labelsseems shrunken.
>
> Any idea what's happening here???  Seems fair to call this a bug --
> somebody's not doing right by the PDF format.  But, an Adobe bug or a
> Wolfram bug?

Given that it looks correct in Acrobat, and given Illustrator's
history of bugs rendering perfectly valid EPS, I would guess this is
an Illustrator bug.  You could also try viewing the file in Preview or
Ghostscript for more comparisons.

-Rob