Re: Vary PlotStyle in ListPlot ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90069] Re: Vary PlotStyle in ListPlot ?
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 06:21:11 -0400 (EDT)

Coleman, Mark wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm producing ListPlots with a  large number (>100000) pairs of points.
> Is there a way to vary the PlotStyle in a single ListPlot command, so
> that sets of points in a certain region are a different color or Opacity
> than points outside the region? This is simple using Show and individual
> ListPlots, but I'm wondering if it can be done within a single ListPlot
> command.

I do not know of any way to colour points by region with a single
ListPlot (ColourFunction only works with Joined -> True).  Just use
Select to sort points into sets, and then you can use a single ListPlot
to plot the sets with different colours.

points = RandomReal[{-1, 1}, {200, 2}];

inner = Select[points, Norm[#] < 1 &];
outer = Select[points, Norm[#] >= 1 &];

ListPlot[{inner, outer}, AspectRatio -> Automatic,
  PlotStyle -> {Red, Blue}]