help about calling external programs through a Button

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90061] help about calling external programs through a Button
  • From: "厉正吉" <zhengji.li at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 06:19:42 -0400 (EDT)

hi all,

I am just starting to use more and more active components to build GUI
tools in mathematica.

Now I want to create a button, by clicking it, an external program is
called, and its output is redirected to a temp file. Then read this
text file and process it.

The problem is that all of the operations happening in the event
handler of the button while the external program is time consuming,
which would cause Mathematica raise a warning like "Dynamic update
takes too much time. Would you like to continue to wait?" No matter I
select "continue wait" or not, Run function can not wait the external
program to complete, then the processing of the output can not be
performed, either.

Any ideas for this? Thanks a lot.

--
Li Zhengji
If all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail.