Re: Loading large files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86229] Re: Loading large files
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 03:00:47 -0500 (EST)

On 3/5/08 at 3:41 AM, lodhaakhil85 at gmail.com (Akki) wrote:

>I am trying to solve a Linear Program for which the matrix A is very
>very large. The size of the matrix A runs into GB (~1GB). I have
>broken it into smaller files of size ~100 MB each and would like to
>load the files in Mathematica (Basically copy paste them). I tried
>to open and paste into mathematica but I cannot paste beyond the
>first file (~100MB)

>My question is can Mathematica  support such a large matrix ?

I think the question should be more along the lines of what your
platform/OS allow rather than what Mathematica allows. That is I
don't believe Mathematica constrains the size of the matrix that
can be handled beyond constraints imposed by your OS/platform.

I am relatively certain such a large matrix would be a problem
for my system. I am using a 32-bit system which can only address
2GB of RAM. If half of the available RAM is used by the matrix,
what is left after subtracting parts used by the OS and
Mathematica code would not be sufficient to do much if any
processing on the matrix. Unless you are using a system with
64-bit addressing and a version of Mathematica that takes
advantage of 64 bit addressing you are not likely to be
successful with such a large matrix.