RE: A question regarding a hyperbolic geometric function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86431] RE: [mg86396] A question regarding a hyperbolic geometric function
  • From: "Tony Harker" <a.harker at ucl.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 02:58:38 -0500 (EST)

 I suspect the problem might be the large value of the argument, which means
the series converges too slowly to be practicable. When I had a similar
problem a little while ago, with a different hypergeometric function, I
dragged my trusty Abramowitz and Stegun off the shelf and found a
transformation which solved the problem. In my case it was
 Hypergeometric2F1[a_, b_, c_, z_] -> Gamma[c]Gamma[b -
a](-z)^(-a)Hypergeometric2F1[a, 1 - c + a,
          1 - b + a, 1/z]/(Gamma[b] Gamma[c - a])

that did the trick -- there may be something similar for your problem.

   Tony Harker

Dr A.H. Harker
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University College London