Ping to Bob Hanlon, Andrzej K, others, re non-threading in cssmm with MTNW?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86473] Ping to Bob Hanlon, Andrzej K, others, re non-threading in cssmm with MTNW?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 00:12:06 -0500 (EST)

Reading cssmm using MT-NewsWatcher on a MacBook, my eye was caught by a
large number of replies to posts that seemingly should have been
threaded with the initial post or with earlier replies but that were not
--- even when there was already a thread on the same topic in the same
batch of posts.  A quick look didn't bring up any such instances in
other news groups, as least in a quick scan of several others.

I think this happens when the replying software uses "Re:__Some Subject"
(with two spaces after the "Re:"), although I'd agree that MTNW probably
ought to be able to handle multiple spaces in this location.

The following recent example exhibits another interesting aspect of this
situation.  The first line starts a thread (has a triangle in front of
it); the second (indented) line is the only additional post in that
thread (and is apparently a reply to the original post, not to the
second reply that starts the thread); and the third line, which
immediately followed the two-post thread is a free-standing post.

  Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>    Re:  Re: NDSolve Question
    Jerry <Jer75811 at yahoo.com>     Re: NDSolve Question
  Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>    Re:  Re: NDSolve Question

Apparently "Re:__Re:_xxxxxx" can _start_ a thread for "xxxxxx" and can
trap later posts having just "Re:_xxxxx" into that thread, but can't
trap a later post that's identical to itself???

[I will attempt to repair the Subject line of posts when I can - moderator]