Re: Evaluating notebooks from other notebooks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86470] Re: Evaluating notebooks from other notebooks
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 00:11:28 -0500 (EST)

ag wrote:
> On Mar 10, 3:03 am, David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> ag wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I was wondering if it is possible to evaluate a notebook, say
>>> "xyz.nb" (without loading it in the front end), from another notebook
>>> (say "root.nb") using some command like:
>>> EvaluateNotebook["xyz.nb", path]
>>> TIA,
>>> Ashutosh.
>>> PS: I am using Mathematica 6.0.1.
>> Further to David Reiss's answer, I would just like to add that this is a
>> relatively unusual thing to wish to do. Using 6.0, .m files edit nicely
>> in the frontend, and it is usually more convenient to create a .m file -
>> xyz.m, and then execute it using Get["xyz.m"]
>>
>> David Baileyhttp://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk
>
> The problem with autosave package is that it doesnot load all the
> contents (comments in particular).
> I have to convert everything to a code cell (Alt+8) to load all the
> variables from a .m file.
> Is there any way around it?
> -Ashutosh.

I am not entirely sure what you mean by this - maybe you are thinking
about earlier versions of Mathematica. If you open a .m file into the
frontend of 6.0 you can add heading or text cells to your code and save
it away. What you get is a .m file in which all the non-executable stuff
is hidden away as comments. The next time you open it, these comments
are converted back into text/heading cells. I find this extremely
useful. While a .m is open in the frontend, you can execute its code and
view the output, but the output is not stored in the .m file (in this
respect it differs from a notebook).