Re: Mathlink: How do I pass arbitrary data from Mathematica to C?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86897] Re: Mathlink: How do I pass arbitrary data from Mathematica to C?
  • From: Karen Bindash <KarenBindash at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 04:46:53 -0500 (EST)

On 24 Mar, 06:45, Jens-Peer Kuska <ku... at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a) MathLink is a protocol, i.e., it *must* transmit data

Understood

> b) MathLink is always buffered, i.e., you will *never*
>     get the true address of a pointer in the Mathematica kernel

Understood

> c) only the kernel developer know how a data structure is organized
>     in the kernel, i.e., a array of integers *may* be a memory block
>     of successive integers but it can be also an array of pointers
>     to integers

OK, I can see I cant make such assumptions.

> d) for a general expression you have to build your own tree like
>     structure of the Mathematica expression by setting the argument
>     type to Manual

Do you have an example of this, where the format of the data is not
known in advance? It *must* be considered just a collection of bytes
of data. The data can be any length from one byte to about a MB. It
might be binary data, but will probably be text.
The data will be passed to some hardware. The format of the data
depends on the hardware. Hence I just want to pass what is a
collection of bytes. I cant assume they will be integers (they might
be), I cant assume they will be floating point values (they might
be).