Re: Wrapping text to fit a rectangle

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87009] Re: Wrapping text to fit a rectangle
  • From: "Fred Klingener" <gigabitbucket at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 03:19:48 -0500 (EST)

"robert prince-wright" <robertprincewright at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:fsg6oo$j6m$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Is there a way of wrapping Text[] so that it fits
> inside a Rectangle{]??

Here's how I do it:

Graphics[{
FaceForm[]
, EdgeForm[Black]
, Rectangle[{0, 0}, {300, 200}]
, Inset[
Framed@Pane[
Style[
"Wrapped text here.\nLong enough to show wrapping."
, "Label"
, Bold
, LineIndent -> 0
, TextAlignment -> Left]
, 80]
, {150, 0}
, {Left, Bottom}]
}]
It's not pretty, but it lets me get control over the details.

With Options for placement of the Pane contents, you can implement an
attached Slider to scroll the text too. ScrollingWrappingPane[] would be a
nice addition to the language.

Be aware, though that Pane had Magnify issues until 6.0.2.

I think TextCell can be made to work inside Inset too. Just differently.

Hth,
Fred Klingener