Re: symbolic evaluation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86996] Re: [mg86951] symbolic evaluation
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 03:17:18 -0500 (EST)

Did you really spend any time examining the documentation for
Mathematica to learn the basics?

It doesn't make sense to say "evaluate" the equation.  Surely you want
to "solve" it, for x.  So why not look up Solve in the documentation.
And be sure to look up the difference between the equality sign for an
equation, the double-equal symbol ==, on the one hand, and the
assignment (Set) single-equal symbol =, on the other hand.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305