Bilateral cell problem w/ Manipulate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88321] Bilateral cell problem w/ Manipulate
  • From: "J. McKenzie Alexander" <jalex at lse.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 06:27:51 -0400 (EDT)

Although AuthorTools is considered "legacy code" for Mathematica 6,
I've still been using the bilateral cells palette because I don't know
of any other better alternative.  Although it still works well, I've
found that it sometimes breaks ? but sometimes not ? when using
Manipulate, and I don't know why.  The following, for example, can be
converted into a bilateral cell (assuming that the three cells are
suitably inserted into a notebook):

(* This is the text on the left. *)
Cell["This is an example of Manipulate.", "MathCaption"]

(* Put this in an Input cell *)
Manipulate[
  Graphics[
   Raster[
    Table[Block[{r = Random[]}, If[r < t, 1 - r, 1]], {100}, {100}]
    ]
   ], {t, 0, 1}
  ]

(* Evaluate the above to get the Output cell. *)
(* ... *)

However, suppose that the object of the Manipulate isn't a simple
graphic, but the output of a Plot like the following:

(* Put this in an Input cell. *)
Manipulate[
  Plot[Sin[a x], {x, 0, 2 Pi}], {a, 0, 10}
  ]

If you try to convert that Manipulate into a bilateral cell, you get
an error. On my machine (an Intel Mac), I just get a grey rectangle
inside the Manipulate construct (in the bilateral cell).  If I
position the mouse over the grey rectangle, I get the message: "This
dynamic content could not be displayed because dynamic updating has
been disabled in the Evaluation menu."   Except, dynamic updating
hasn't actually been disabled in the evaluation menu ? other dynamic
objects can still be manipulated in the notebook.

However, if you save the notebook containing the "broken" bilateral
cell, restart Mathematica, and then load the notebook, the bilateral
cell works!

Any suggestions as to what might be going wrong would be appreciated.
I find the cell manipulations performed by MakeBilateralCell a bit
mysterious, to say nothing of the magic that happens with Manipulate!

Jason