Re: Question about alignment in Grid and TableForm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88509] Re: Question about alignment in Grid and TableForm
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at arcor.net>
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 07:06:32 -0400 (EDT)

Alexey Popkov schrieb:
> Hello,
> I wish text objects in Grid would be aligned at center of column and
> numbers in ScientificForm aligned at ".". I have tried to use the
> following constructions as elements of the Grid but the text objects
> are not centered at the centers of columns:
>
> Item["some text", Alignment -> Center]
> and
> Item[1000*Pi // ScientificForm, Alignment -> "."].
>
> The code I have tried (it is just example):
>
> TableForm[
>  Insert[Table[
>    Item[N[Pi a^10] // ScientificForm, Alignment -> "."], {a, 1,
>     5}, {b, 1, 3}], {Item["First Column text", Alignment -> Center],
>    Item["Second Column text", Alignment -> Center],
>    Item["Third Column text", Alignment -> Center]}, 3]]
>
> Grid[Insert[
>   Table[Item[N[Pi a^10] // ScientificForm, Alignment -> "."], {a, 1,
>     5}, {b, 1, 3}], {Item["First Column text", Alignment -> Center],
>    Item["Second Column text", Alignment -> Center],
>    Item["Third Column text", Alignment -> Center]}, 3]]
>
> How to place text objects at the centers of the columns? Is this a bug
> in "Alignment" option?

I don't think so, it is usually a good idea to use the Dividers->All
option when constructing tables so you can see what really happens. As
you can see, the text _is_ centered, it's the dot-alignment which causes
the look of the table to be different from what you expect:

Grid[
 Insert[Table[
   Item[N[Pi a^10] // ScientificForm, Alignment -> "."], {a, 1,
    5}, {b, 1, 3}], {Item["First Column text", Alignment -> Center],
   Item["Second Column text", Alignment -> Center],
   Item["Third Column text", Alignment -> Center]}, 3],
 Dividers -> All
 ]

you might want to experiment with the ItemSize option to get more
appealing tables...

hth,

albert