Re: Question about alignment in Grid and TableForm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88541] Re: Question about alignment in Grid and TableForm
  • From: Alexey Popkov <popkov at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 04:11:50 -0400 (EDT)

On May 7, 3:07 pm, Albert Retey <a... at arcor.net> wrote:
> As you can see, the text _is_ centered, it's the dot-alignment which causes
> the look of the table to be different from what you expect:
>
> Grid[
>  Insert[Table[
>    Item[N[Pi a^10] // ScientificForm, Alignment -> "."], {a, 1,
>     5}, {b, 1, 3}], {Item["First Column text", Alignment -> Center],
>    Item["Second Column text", Alignment -> Center],
>    Item["Third Column text", Alignment -> Center]}, 3],
>  Dividers -> All
>  ]

I expected the numbers to be aligned at the center of the text. It is
frustrating that the numbers get Right alignment and text shifts from
the center of numbers. Is there a way to make text in the column
aligned at the center of ALL numbers which are at the same time
aligned at "."? As I think it is the most expected behavour but I do
not know how to force Mathematica to create such obvious and good-
looking table. I am pained very much that it is not the default
behavour! This is so obvious for scientific table!