Re: ListDensityPlot with irregular data and InterpolationOrder

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88554] Re: ListDensityPlot with irregular data and InterpolationOrder
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 04:14:14 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/7/08 at 7:10 AM, szhorvat at gmail.com (Szabolcs Horv=C3=A1t) wrote:

>This is not explicitly documented (or at least I could not find any
>mention of it), but from looking at the plots it seems to me that
>with ListDensityPlot (and related functions), an InterpolationOrder
>higher than 1 only work with data that lies on a regular grid.

>So for example the following data cannot be plotted with
>InterpolationOrder higher than 1:

>data = {#1, #2, Sin[#1] Sin[#2]} & @@@ RandomReal[2 Pi, {100, 2}];

>Is this correct?

The array you create above is a regular array and as far as I
can see there is no problem with using an InterpolationOrder
greater than 1. That is, using your code above to assign values
to data

ListDensityPlot[data]
ListDensityPlot[data,InterpolationOrder->1]
ListDensityPlot[data,InterpolationOrder->3]

all execute with no error messages.

True, all three graphics appear identical. But I believe this is
due the functional relationship you created.

Do the following

data=RandomReal[2 Pi, {5,5}];

then

ListDensityPlot[data]
ListDensityPlot[data,InterpolationOrder->1]
ListDensityPlot[data,InterpolationOrder->3]

All three should execute with no error and the images will not
be the same due to the different interpolation order.