A very strange calculation in Mathematica 6

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88563] A very strange calculation in Mathematica 6
  • From: Karimi Ebrahim <karimi at na.infn.it>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 04:15:53 -0400 (EDT)

To whom it my concern,

I have found a very strange calculation with Mathematica 6. I have checked with Mathematica 5.1 and I understood that there are some missed
functions (maybe wrong definition) in Mathematica 6.

So, this is a reason that I write you this e-mail. (Last week I have sent it to some people in Wolfram Research but they did not answer to me yet).

For start you may use the following function which is hypergeometric 2F0, and try to evaluate the following example by Mathematica 6 and 5.1;

*********** Evaluate by Mathematica 6 **************

input: HypergeometricPFQ[{-3/2, 5/2}, {}, 1]
output:ComplexInfinity

*********** Evaluate by Mathematica 5 **************
input: HypergeometricPFQ[{-3/2, 5/2}, {}, 1]
output:

I calculated this by hand and it becomes to BesselK function which Mathematica 5.1 answered. I have evaluated the HypergeometricPFQ[{a, b}, {}, z] by Mathematica 5.1 and it answered to me . You may evaluate the same function by Mathematica 6, you will receive no answer.

Moreover, there are some missing hypergeometicPFQ in the Mathematica 6, which I strongly suggest to people to check all of their calculations by Mathematica 5.1 .

Best Regards,

Ebrahim Karimi
===========
Dipartimento di Scienze Fisiche,