EventHandler problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88632] EventHandler problem
  • From: "J. McKenzie Alexander" <jalex at lse.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 06:53:47 -0400 (EDT)

I'm trying to design a custom InputField that indicates whether or not
the user has pressed Return to submit the changes. It's a simple
design: a red or green disk is drawn to the right of the InputField to
indicate the state.

Here's the definition of the disks:

	red = Graphics[{Green, AbsolutePointSize[12], Point[{0, 0}]},
		 ImageSize -> {20, Automatic}]

	green = Graphics[{Green, AbsolutePointSize[12], Point[{0, 0}]},
		 ImageSize -> {20, Automatic}]

Here's my first attempt at creating the InputField:

	DynamicModule[{k = 1, changed = False},
	 Row[{
	   EventHandler[
	    InputField[Dynamic[k], Number, FieldSize -> Tiny,
	     ContinuousAction -> True],
	    {"KeyDown" :> (changed = True),
	     "ReturnKeyDown" :> (changed = False)
	     },
	    PassEventsDown -> True
	    ],
	   Dynamic[If[changed, red, green]]
	   }]
	 ]

Everything works except setting the value of changed back to False
when the Return key is pressed. Mathematica fires the action for
*both* "KeyDown" and "ReturnKeyDown", and the "KeyDown" action is
invoked after the "ReturnKeyDown" action. (This happens regardless of
whether one uses {"KeyDown" :> (...), "ReturnKeyDown" :> (...) } or
{"ReturnKeyDown" :> (...) "KeyDown" :> (...)} in the argument to
EventHandler.)

I've tried detecting the value of the key by using
CurrentValue["EventKey"] but this doesn't seem to do anything...

Any thoughts on how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Jason

--
Dr J. McKenzie Alexander
Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method