Re: Display commands in a package

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88630] Re: [mg88603] Display commands in a package
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 06:53:24 -0400 (EDT)

First:  One of the purposes of a package is, in fact, to shield the user
from seeing the internal definitions of objects in that package
(especially since the internal definitions might change in subsequent
versions yet the functionality remain the same, or at least
backward-compatible).  Typically, a package keeps only a stub for a
definition within the non-private context of the package.

Second: For some key packages, the code is simply not available in usual
package format, i.e., in human-readable form.  This is the case, I
believe, with Graphics`, which does have a very short readable .m file
you can look at, but essentially nothing of direct interest within it;
everything seems to be done at a lower level, probably in some compiled
code.  This may be for reasons of property protection and/or efficiency.

But for a number of other packages, the .m file is right there in the
Mathematica file tree.  This is the case, for example, with the
Combinatorica` package.  You can simply open the file and read it -- in
a text editor if you really wish; by opening it within Mathematica
itself (File > Open, or just dragging the file to the Mathematica menu
bar); or in Wolfram Workbench (which I often find provides the most
attractive and useful way to view a package when you don't have a source
notebook that created it).

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305