Re: Expression manipulation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88731] Re: [mg88722] Expression manipulation
  • From: "W_Craig Carter" <ccarter at mit.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 06:50:27 -0400 (EDT)

Hello David,
I believe there is a tutorial approximately titled "Simplifying
Expressions" in the documentation for 5.2.  Your items 2-5 can be done
automatically by methods described in that tutorial . The expression
you get may not be exactly the form you would choose when using pencil
and paper.

Item 1 requires a longer answer and a bit more finesse.  Replacements
of subexpressions can  be done with Replace and Rules. However, for
not-very-long expressions, you can copy paste the entire expression
and then select and over-write subexpressions.  I don't like this
second method so much because it is prone to mistakes---and a bad
habit to break---so I recommend looking at the Rule-Replace methods.
Craig

--
W. Craig Carter