Re: Expression manipulation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88737] Re: [mg88722] Expression manipulation
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 06:51:34 -0400 (EDT)

You might find David Park's no-cost Expression Manipulation package
useful. It includes a nice tutorial notebook on its use.  (If you're
running it with Mathematica 6.0, you'll need to let the Version Advisory
scan locate two places in the tutorial notebook that need the
compatibility updating it suggests.)

Another possibility, although not no-cost, is Park's big Presentations
bundle. It includes a Manipulations package that includes, I believe,
some or all of the functionality of that Expression Manipulation
package.  Among the dozen or so functions it defines or extends are:

   CompleteTheSquare
   FactorOut
   MultiplyByOne

This last directly accomplishes one of the tasks you listed --
multiplying numerator and denominator by the same quantity.

For both, see:

    http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/Mathematica.html

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.