Mathematica 6: No more memory available problem with ListDensityPlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88850] Mathematica 6: No more memory available problem with ListDensityPlot
  • From: Kezhao Zhang <kezhao.zhang at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 05:16:59 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I just purchased and installed Mathematica 6.0.2.1 for Windows (32
bit, March 13, 2008) on a computer running Windows Vista with 3GB of
ram. I was rather surprised and disappointed that the following
commands crashed Mathematica:

In[1]:= d = RandomReal[{0, 1}, {78, 20003}];

In[2]:= Dimensions[d]

Out[2]= {78, 20003}

In[3]:= ListDensityPlot[d, AspectRatio -> 0.3, ColorFunction ->
"Rainbow"]

During evaluation of In[3]:=

No more memory available.
Mathematica kernel has shut down.
Try quitting other applications and then retry.

ListPlot3D[d] also leads to the same error.

The array to be plotted is not forbiddingly large, so I am very
puzzled by the out of memory error.

Is this a bug or do I need to set memory usage in some way to increase
the memory limit? Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kezhao