Sluggish performance in Save, bug?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89005] Sluggish performance in Save, bug?
  • From: Art <grenander at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 03:09:28 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

I am trying to debug a problem with very sluggish Saving of a
notebook, as well as cutting and pasting of cells in a notebook, with
around 10 GraphicsGrid's of 10x8 MatrixPlot's that are around 10x10
each. When I save the notebook, it takes quite a while, enough to make
the notebook unusable. If I make a small change and save it again, it
takes just as long (10+ minutes). But the CPU is idle during this
time. It seems like Mathematica is either doing nothing or waiting on
something.

Was wondering if this is a bug and if there is a workaround. The
notebook itself is about 1mb, so it's relatively small. The
MatrixPlot's seem to be stored as
GraphicsBox[RasterBox[CompressedData["<string>"]]]. I know very little
about the internal format of Notebook's

I'm using 6.0.2 on Linux 64-bit.

Thanks,
Art.