Re: Re: Color space conversion in Mathematica v6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89052] Re: [mg89008] Re: Color space conversion in Mathematica v6.0
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 03:57:10 -0400 (EDT)

  Hi, Bob,

    What about something like

Plot3D[Exp[-x^2 - y^2], {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2},
 ColorFunction ->
  Lighter /@ Lighter /@ (ColorData["GrayTones"][#3] &)]

?

   You should be able to apply "Lighter" to the color function you'd like.
(It took me a long while to figure this one out, though I had the general gist
right. Only when I finally browsed to the ref/ColorData page in the help menu
did I get it.)

            Cheers,
                   C.O.

On Friday 23 May 2008 01:10:03 Robert Buchanan wrote:
> On May 22, 2:38 am, ragfield <ragfi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > (* g is a Graphics expresion *)
> > g//.{c:(_RGBColor|_CMYKColor|_Hue):>ToColor[c,GrayLevel]}
> >
> > It's more complicated for Graphics3D expressions, as you must deal
> > with lighting issues.
> >
> > -Rob
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it is just this more
> complicated situation I must deal with. For 2D graphics I am able to
> produce grayscale versions of the color graphics. I am now left with
> the 3D graphics. Some are produced by Plot3D[] and others by
> RegionPlot3D[]. I have tried specifying ColorFunction->"GrayTones",
> but the output seems too dark (too black, not enough gray). If you
> have any further suggestions or can point me to some documentation or
> examples, I would be grateful.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Curtis Osterhoudt