Re: Soundnote, musical instruments playing at arbitrary pitch

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89172] Re: Soundnote, musical instruments playing at arbitrary pitch
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 04:44:34 -0400 (EDT)

janos wrote:
> SoundNote["G", 1, "Violin"] gives you a middle G as if performed by a
> violinist corresponding to a predefined scale (should I know which?)
> It does not accept real numbers as a second variable.
> Play can play you any waveform.
>
> I would like to have the, say, violin profile but play a sound note at
> arbitrary pitch.
> How can I do this? The FullForm of SoundNote gives no information,
> and I do not want to invest a large amount of work into creating the
> appropriate profile if it has been done once.
>
> Could anyone help me please?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Janos

SoundNote creates MIDI sound, which is quite distinct from the sampled
sound created by Play.

MIDI sound does have the concept of a "pitchbend" that can let you play
a note of arbitrary frequency, but this does not seem to have been
implemented (yet?) in Mathematica MIDI sound.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk