Re: Soundnote, musical instruments playing at arbitrary pitch

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89192] Re: Soundnote, musical instruments playing at arbitrary pitch
  • From: "Hans Michel" <hmichel at cox.net>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 07:02:01 -0400 (EDT)

Janos:

In private communication you stated that you want to experiment with
something like
http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/PythagoreanMeantoneAndEqualTemperamentMusicalScales/

but with MIDI.

At first I was hesitant to offer any ideas since it involves lots of time
and the proper equiment (soundcard or MIDI controller.) This all assumes
that the java MIDI driver has access to the sound cards MIDI banks. If it
does not then you should look into

http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/sound/soundbanks.html

If there is no java MIDI banks available the driver will try to find what is
available on your sound card. At which point this path may work for you:

If you have a sound card that can take SoundFont; you can fill the memory
banks of your sound card (really using memory from your system). Properly
configured these sample sounds can be accessed in Mathematica using
SoundNote's function Style property. The style can take as document states
"Style {bank, patch, s} represents an instrument in the specified bank and
patch"  and s between 1 and 128 represents of that bank. So this will no
longer be General MIDI instruments but sampled sounds or other MIDI
instruments that you placed in those banks.

This all depends on the hard ware you have.

On a PC with Creative compatible sound card there is software available to
load sample sound in the SoundFont format (by all means this is not the only
format for sampled sound) But see

http://www.soundblaster.com/soundfont/downloads.asp

Now you can save a sample of a particular midi note instrument say "Violin"
and convert to .wav or .aif. Now if you process this wav file to change its
properties to your liking and load it into a MIDI bank and patch. If you
specify that sound bank and patch you should hear back the sampled sound.

For that matter you can sample your voice load it into a MIDI bank and patch
and play it back
with SoundNote function in any MIDI Key.

If your limited to what the Java synthesizer is capable of then I would look
into modifying the Java Synthesizer.

Hans

news:g1gqj6$1fq$1 at smc.vnet.net...