Re: Re: 3D Graphics in a Palette or Dialog

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93315] Re: [mg93278] Re: 3D Graphics in a Palette or Dialog
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 05:29:32 -0500 (EST)

I'm glad that you mentioned using the Options statement because that is a
very good method for getting information about a function. I often use a
statement in the form:

Options[CreateDocument] // Column // Panel

just to get a little better readability.

It is true that in this case there is an awfully long list of options. But
this tells us that the user has a lot of control on the resultant output. It
also tells us why the CreateDocument or Notebook function pages do not go
extensively into all the options. It is a bit of a chore to scan the list
but most of the Windows options are together at the bottom of the list.

In general, when I'm working with a function that I am not entirely familiar
with I find it useful to use the Option statement. It often contains
information that is scanty or missing in Help.

Another quick method to zero in on possible options or functions is to type
something like

?*Window*

I find that an easier starting point than searching Help.

I know that many users are already familiar with these methods, but perhaps
newer users are not aware of them.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark

From: Januk [mailto:ggroup at sarj.ca]

Hi Albert,

Please tone down the attitude.  The documentation is not clear.
WindowMargins is not (to me) an immediately intuitive name that
describes what the option does.  In addition, the CreateDocument page
in the help file does not reference any of its many options.  So you
need to know what the options are in order to go look them up.  And if
you've run Options[CreateDocument], you quickly realize that there are
way too many options to reasonably expect that anyone new to the
command will be able to find what they need.

Januk