Re: Eliminating common factors?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93328] Re: [mg93299] Eliminating common factors?
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 06:16:28 -0500 (EST)

In the simple form provided, just about any command that touches it will work. Without the actual expression there is no way to help.

expr = 4 (a/4 + b/(4 c))

4*(a/4 + b/(4*c))

expr // Simplify

a + b/c

expr // Apart

a + b/c

expr // Expand

a + b/c

expr // ExpandAll

a + b/c

expr // Cancel // Apart

a + b/c

expr // Together // Apart

a + b/c

expr // Factor // Apart

a + b/c

Bob Hanlon

---- AES <siegman at stanford.edu> wrote:

=============
I have a simple, totally algebraic symbolic calculation that displays
its output in the form (rewritten here using TeX notation)

      4 ( {a \over 4 } + { b \over 4 c } )

where a, b and c are fairly simple products of purely algebraic
quantities; \over is the TeX notation for a display fraction; and the
curly brackets are just for TeX purposes and are not there in the actual
output.

Is there any Assumption for Simplify, or any other _simple_ way, to get
rid of those (utterly!!!) superfluous 4's?

[I suppose the real question is, why doesn't M cancel 'em the hell out
in the first place?!?!]

--

Bob Hanlon