From reactions to differential equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93348] From reactions to differential equations
  • From: zac <replicatorzed at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 06:20:08 -0500 (EST)

Dear All,

from some time now I=E1m working with more and more complex differential
equations.
Is there a package to transform a set of reaction-kinetic equations
such as:

{
Subscript[a, i] + Subscript[b, j] -> Subscript[c, i, j],
 Subscript[a, i] + Subscript[c, i, j] -> 2 Subscript[a, i] +
Subscript[b, j],
 Subscript[b, i] + Subscript[c, j, i] -> 2 Subscript[b, i] +
Subscript[c, j]
}

to differential equations expressing the growth of a_i, b_i and c_i,j,
regarding
that I leave the parameters i and j undefined?
I am fully aware of software packages like COPASI and Systems Biology
that are available, but I think they are far more complex than what is
needed here, and furthermore I would like to understand the method how
these reactions are actually converted to diff.equations. Which I
completely miss if I'm to rely on a concealed algorithm.
I've already started to write a parser in Mathematica, but it became
too cumbersome after a point to deal with indexed variables (without
indices it is fairly simple), and I really don't want to invent
something that (perhaps) already exists on the field.
Any ideas?

Istvan Zachar