Re: Constructing a Label

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93511] Re: Constructing a Label
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 04:02:53 -0500 (EST)

On 11/12/08 at 6:45 AM, siegman at stanford.edu (AES) wrote:

>[And after re-reading the documentation on this, I can't help
>thinking that the default for this in Export ought to be False, not
>True.  Isn't Export more like an "output" operation than an "input"
>operation?

Yes.

>And, if you Export something you see in an Output cell
>without the string characters present, wouldn't you normally expect
>the result of that Export to be what you're seeing on screen?]

I can see what I would normally expect to be exported to depend
on a variety of things including how my preferences for
Mathematica are set. I have my preferences set to display output
cells in Traditional form. Since I equate string characters with
ASCII and many mathematical symbols have no simple ASCII form, I
would expect Export to include characters I do not see on the
screen. My expectation for Export would be different if had my
output preferences set to say InputForm.