Stock Data Charts

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93651] Stock Data Charts
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 04:56:55 -0500 (EST)

The question [mg93576] on calculating stock data got me interested in how
one might construct conventional stock price charts such as one sees in
newspapers. Using the Presentations package I made a price-volume chart for
the DJI for the year 2008. It has a separate volume chart under the price
chart and they each have their own tick scale lines. For a time scale I use
a colored line with alternate colors for each month and the short month
names under each colored segment. There are tooltips for the price chart
showing the date, low, high and closing price for each trading day, and
another tooltip on the volume chart showing the date and volume.

Peter Lindsay at the Mathematical Institute in the University of St Andrews
[ www.mcs.st-and.ac.uk ] has kindly undertaken to maintain an archive that
provides downloadable notebooks and PDF files for various Presentations
solutions that have appeared on MathGroup.

http://blackbook.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/~Peter/djmpark/html/

The chart can be viewed there. It would be very easy to add other types of
data charts in additional to, or instead of the volume data.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark