Re: v.7.0 issues

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93871] Re: v.7.0 issues
  • From: "sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 05:33:22 -0500 (EST)

So far, I like what I see. The step from 6 to 7 may, on first sight,
seem perhaps less impressive than the step from 5 to 6 with the
introduction of extremely useful Manipulate and Dynamic, but there are
plenty of very nice surprices to be found here. Some bugs that
troubled me in 6 seemed to have been solved as well.

Stylesheets, for instance, seem to have been improved considerably. In
6 there was no check to the menu item indicating the currently
selected style, in 7 there is. In the JournalArticle style much more
formatting options are available and in the automatic numbering menu
item it is now finally possible to refer to a numbered equation.

There so much to be excited about that it is very hard to point at a
single feature that sticks out.

On the negative side, I had one occasion of the mouse I-beam getting
stuck in Mathematica and all other progams after a simple text selection in a
Mathematica notebook. I had to restart my PC. Not sure whether this was a Mathematica
problem or something related to my laptop. Anyway, that's about the
only issue in 4 days with 7. O yes, I still can't get through our
corporate firewall to get the computable data, but that's more a
problem of our firewall than of Mathematica.

Cheers -- Sjoerd