Re: Mathematica 7: PieChart: opacity of a sector label

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93903] Re: [mg93878] Mathematica 7: PieChart: opacity of a sector label
  • From: Gordon Robertson <grobertson at bcgsc.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 05:07:48 -0500 (EST)

David,

Thank you. I want pale colors in the pie sectors, and your code works well
for this. My puzzle now is that the darkness or opacity of the radial
callout line to a sector's label is influenced by the color or opacity of
its sector. Given this, when a sector has a pale color its callout line is
hard to see. So far, my tests indicate that EdgeForm operates on sector
outlines and not on callout lines attached to sector outlines.

On 11/27/08 9:53 AM, "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net> wrote:

> Seems like a bug or bad design. Are you really using Opacity in a pie chart,
> or are you just using it to lighten the colors? Why not use:
>
> PieChart[{0.3, 1 - 0.3},
>  ChartLabels -> Placed[{m1, ""}, "RadialCallout"],
>  ChartStyle ->
>   {Directive[Blend[{Darker[Blue], White}, .5]],
>    Directive[GrayLevel[.9]]},
>  BaseStyle -> Directive[FontFamily -> "Helvetica", 12],
>  ImageSize -> 200]
>

> David Park
> djmpark at comcast.net
> http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark
>

> From: Gordon Robertson [mailto:grobertson at bcgsc.ca]
>
> Could I ask for help with the following? In Mathematica 6, a sector's label
> was
> automatically dark (very readable) text, independent of the Opacity[] of its
> sector. In Mathematica 7, at this point I'm finding that a pie sector's
> label has the
> opacity of its sector. For example, the following has a pale blue sector
> with an 'm1' label -- but both the blue and the label have an opacity of
> 0.5. Putting Opacity[1] into the BaseStyle Directive does not change this.
>
> PieChart[{0.3, 1 - 0.3},
>
>  ChartLabels -> Placed[{m1, ""}, "RadialCallout"],
>
>  ChartStyle -> {
>   Directive[Darker[Blue], Opacity[0.5]],
>   Directive[Gray, Opacity[0.2]]},
>
>  BaseStyle -> Directive[FontFamily -> "Helvetica", 12],
>  ImageSize -> 200]
>
> I've studied the PieChart help documentation for some time without finding a
> way to declare the label as opaque i.e. dark. I'm probably simply not seeing
> what I need to see.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help. I'm on an Intel Mac with OS X 10.5.5.

Gordon Robertson
Gene Regulation Informatics
Canada's Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre
Vancouver BC Canada
www.bcgsc.ca