Re: CUDA support in 7.0?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93920] Re: CUDA support in 7.0?
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 05:10:52 -0500 (EST)

Michael Weyrauch wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    I do not really understand what you are talking about here, Jens,
> and on what basis.

I' talking about that a general multi-platform system like Mathematica
can't use very special hardware in general, because the very special
hardware does not exist in general.

As to see from

http://www.gpgpu.org/

"With desktop systems based on Tesla GPUs, Mathematica users will be
able to perform complex, data-intensive computations right at their
desk, negating the need to write native C programs or wait for time on a
public cluster, a process which can often take days or even weeks.

The CUDA accelerated version of Mathematica is expected to be available
in Q1 2009."

> But I know from a very good talk (on the Mathematica users conference
> and not under NDA) by one person of Wolfram Research and another one of
> Nvidia, that they are experimenting seriously with CUDA.

What may be the difference between "experimenting seriously" and
"support it in a product" ??

> (Alltogether it seems not to be that simple, it was said that one
> requires good support by the graphics card manufacturer in order to get
> it going).

Only *one* Graphics card manufacturer support it at all. AMD/ATI will
use its Stream Computing/ Brooke+ language
(http://ati.amd.com/technology/streamcomputing/sdkdwnld.html) and Intels
Larrabee will also have it's own languange.

Moreover, it seems that BrookGPU /Brooke+
(http://www-graphics.stanford.edu/projects/brookgpu/)
will become the standard and not CUDA

Especial because nVidia try to sell its newes graphics cards
for CUDA, while BrookGPU work well even with older ones.

Also, if I understood the speakers well, one cannot go
> beyond the single precision limit in general.

GTX260, GTX280 can do that and this is so general as to have a GeForce
Graphics card and not a Intel, ATI, S3 ...

So, I understand that only
> specific numerical code parts can be executed on the graphics card (?).

What else ?

> If such support makes it into a future version of Mathematica, I, of
> course, don't know.

and it seems that you also "not really understand what you are talking
about here"

Regards
   Jens