Re: tabulate an expression in arbitrary precision

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93967] Re: [mg93957] tabulate an expression in arbitrary precision
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 06:58:20 -0500 (EST)

If machine precision is good enough:

Grid[Prepend[Table[{
    NumberForm[x, {2, 1}],
    NumberForm[Erf[x], {11, 10}, DigitBlock -> 5]},
   {x, 0, 1, 0.1}],
  TraditionalForm /@ {x, Erf[x]}],
 Frame -> All]

For greater precision:

n = 25;
Grid[Prepend[Table[{
    NumberForm[N[x], {2, 1}],
    NumberForm[N[Erf[x], 2 n], {n + 1, n}, DigitBlock -> 5]},
   {x, 0, 1, 1/10}],
  TraditionalForm /@ {x, Erf[x]}],
 Frame -> All]

Bob Hanlon

---- Leslaw Bieniasz <nbbienia at cyf-kr.edu.pl> wrote:

=============
Hi,
I am new to MATHEMATICA, and I am looking for advice.
I have access to MATHEMATICA 6.0.
I need to tabulate values of a certain expression involving error function Erf[x], for a number of x values.
The problem is that I need to do these calculations in
arbitrary precision (that is I want to be able to control
the number N of significant digits). Can anybody show me some examples of how this might be done? I stress I know
nothing about MATHEMATICA. I want the results to be displayed and saved in the form of a table having two columns, where the first column contains x values, and
the second column contains the corresponding values of the expression, with all N significant digits.

Leslaw

--

Bob Hanlon