Re: tabulate an expression in arbitrary precision

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93969] Re: [mg93957] tabulate an expression in arbitrary precision
  • From: Christopher Arthur <caa0012 at unt.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 06:58:42 -0500 (EST)

You could try something like this to show Erf applied to partition of
interval.

n=10;a=1,b=2,d=0.5
Table[{x,NumberForm[Erf[x],n]},{x,a,b,d}]
TableForm[%]

where n is the number of digits to show
a is start of interval
b is end of interval
d is increment in invterval

Quoting Leslaw Bieniasz <nbbienia at cyf-kr.edu.pl>:

> Hi,
> I am new to MATHEMATICA, and I am looking for advice.
> I have access to MATHEMATICA 6.0.
> I need to tabulate values of a certain expression involving error
> function Erf[x], for a number of x values.
> The problem is that I need to do these calculations in
> arbitrary precision (that is I want to be able to control
> the number N of significant digits). Can anybody show me some
> examples of how this might be done? I stress I know
> nothing about MATHEMATICA. I want the results to be displayed and
> saved in the form of a table having two columns, where the first
> column contains x values, and
> the second column contains the corresponding values of the
> expression, with all N significant digits.
>
> Leslaw

Christopher Arthur

"History is an alternating series of frying pans and fires"  -- Peter
Esterhazy