Re: how to get rid of extra parentheses ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92530] Re: how to get rid of extra parentheses ?
  • From: Mark Westwood <markc.westwood at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 18:49:27 -0400 (EDT)

On 2 Oct, 09:36, "Obaid Rehman" <Obaid.Reh... at student.adfa.edu.au>
wrote:
> Hi , there
>
> I am wondering if some one can help me in my issue.
>
> After some Algebraic manipulation I get the result but it is inside the
> two parenthesis e.g. {{...........  }}. The problem is that Mathematica
> understand it as a list or matrix entry.
>
> If I need to use this result directly into the matrix manipulation it
> gives the error. Question is how to get rid these extra parentheses in
> the result that Mathematica add itself?
Hi Obaid

Have a look at the documentation for Part and Flatten.  The former is
useful for extracting parts of expressions (such as the contents of
{{ }} ) and the latter is useful for removing {{ }}.  However, be
aware that Mathematica's use of brackets is not entirely arbitrary, so
make sure you understand why you get the result you do.

Regards

Mark Westwood