RE: Comparison between Mathematica and other symbolic systems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92527] RE: [mg92378] Comparison between Mathematica and other symbolic systems
  • From: "Ingolf Dahl" <ingolf.dahl at telia.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 18:48:54 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
I do not know how this is example is interesting or how it is done in other
systems, but once, 14 years back, it convinced me that I should use
Mathematica for a specific problem. I wanted to sort the eigenvectors of a
real matrix according to decreasing size of the real part of the
eigenvalues. For complex eigenvalue pairs I wanted the eigenvalue with
positive imaginary part sorted first. I just wanted to specify the sorting
rule, and did not feel for writing the sorting algorithm from scratch. This
is how I solved it in Mathematica

Transpose[
 Sort[Transpose[Eigensystem[RandomReal[{-1, 1}, {6, 6}]]],

I think this also is a good example of the use of functional programming,
and it helped me to get in to it.
In Mathematica we are thus able to sort any kind of "objects" with any kind
of sorting criteria, thanks to the generality of the language.
Best regards

Ingolf Dahl
Sweden