Re: Executing an external notebook within another notebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93003] Re: Executing an external notebook within another notebook
  • From: Szabolcs Horvat <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 05:40:44 -0400 (EDT)

Tugrul Temel wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Recently, the issue of executing a notebook within another notebook has
> arised and I worked on that for sometime. My progress has been limited and
> I am stuck at the following point.
>
> 1) I wrote a generic "Common.nb" including the general code that can be
> executed using different data set.
> 2) I created another notebook "data.nb" retriving the data from Excel for
> calculations using the codes from "Common.nb"
> 3) I only open the "data.nb" and use Needs[] command to bring "Common.nb"
> to the current "nb" file, it gives a lot of errors.
> 4) If I only open the "Common.nb" and run it, it also gives errors.
> 5) However, if I open both "data.nb" and "Common.nb" and run them
> separately (the order of execution does not matter), then both programs
> run properly, giving the desired outcomes.
> 6) This shows that these two "nb" have somehow been linked to each other
> without my intention.

I am not sure why this happens, just a note about point 3:

You cannot use Needs to read in a notebook.  Instead make the relevant
cells in common.nb initialization cells, and save the notebook.
Mathematica will offer to create an auto-save package for you (which
will be called common.m).  Now you can use Get["common.m"].