Re: Magnetic field for a straight conductor with finite

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91663] Re: [mg91660] Magnetic field for a straight conductor with finite
  • From: "Curtis F. Osterhoudt" <cfo at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 06:44:56 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Robert,

   The imaginary parts of that first expression are easily taken care of:
They refer to the imaginary parts of the coordinates x, y, and z, and
since you're [presumably] working the problem in real space, those
parts all go to zero. Thus, the general math has to be tweaked a little
bit to get the specific physics. Once that is done (perhaps by having
Mathematica evaluate
Assuming[x\[Element]Reals && y\[Element]Reals && Im[z] ==0,
Simplify[Re[sol1]]]
), you'll get the usual expression for the magnetic field due to an
infinite, straight, steady current in free space.
   If you leave out the "GenerateConditions -> False" options, you'll get
a more complicated expression, but it will reduce to the one you want
with the "Assuming" line above, so long as either x or y are greater
than zero.

   The same trick may be used to get your sol2, but you'll also have to
eventually tell Mathematica that L>0.

            Hope that helps,
                      C.O.

P.S. It turns out to be a pretty interesting exercise to get that current
to suddenly appear and disappear at the origin and L. Assuming
conservation of charge and then splitting the wire into many at the ends
so that the current density goes way down there is one (problematic) way.
Another is to shield the ends (containing charge source and sink), where I
think one finds that accelerating and decelerating charges leads to fun
radiation problems.