Mapping A Condition Across Two Different Lists

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91705] Mapping A Condition Across Two Different Lists
  • From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 02:06:02 -0400 (EDT)

Hello everyone,

Not sure how to do this using Map, or even if it's possible.

I can compare a target value to each value in a list like this.

targetX = 5; listX = {4, 9, 2, 11, 4};
targetX > # & /@ listX

{True, False, True, False, True}

I can do the same for another target and another list.

targetY = 3; listY = {4, 0, 1, 8, 6};
targetY > # & /@ listY

{False, True, True, False, False}

But can I do it in a similar way for the AND or OR condition without
having to resort to the Table command?

Table[targetX > listX[[i]] && targetY > listY[[i]], {i, Length@listX}]

{False, False, True, False, False}

Table[targetX > listX[[i]] || targetY > listY[[i]], {i, Length@listX}]