Re: genetic algorithms

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91714] Re: genetic algorithms
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 02:07:40 -0400 (EDT)

ayottes at gmail.com wrote:

> On 16 Jul, 06:30, Francisco Gutierrez <fgutiers2... at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Many thanks to all of you that sent me references about programing genetic algorithms in Mathematica
>> Francisco
>
> Hi, would you mind sharing that list... I'm in the process of coding a
> real coded genetic algorithm in Mathematica and I'd like to see those
> references.

Though I can be totally wrong, I believe Francesco is talking about
answer(s) to his question about genetic algorithm posted in the thread
titled "How to find the Max of a Piecewise function" [*]. Here is a copy
of my reply [**]:

(* About Resources on Genetic Algorithm with Mathematica. *)

Excellent resources I am aware of, at the introductory level, are:

. [1] Christian Jacob, *Illustrating Evolutionary Computation with
Mathematica*, _The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Artificial Intelligence_,
hardcover 578 pages, Morgan Kaufmann; 1st edition (February 1, 2001)
ISBN-13: 978-1558606371

. [2] The companion website for Christian Jacob's book, *Illustrating
Evolutionary Computation with Mathematica*, website that contains
numerous Mathematica notebooks.

http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~jacob/IEC/IEC%20Main%20Page/IEC%20Main...

. [3]  Claudio Mattiussi, *Bio-inspired Adaptive Machines: Genetic
algorithms for function optimization*, Laboratory Material,

"In this laboratory you will experiment with various illustrative and
real-world applications of Genetic Algorithms (GA). The first three
examples are implemented as Mathematica notebooks.You will find a
detailed description of these exercises in the pdf files linked below.
Some basics on the Mathematica interface are given in the pdf file
describing the first exercise." (From Claudio Mattiussi's website.)

http://lissrv1.epfl.ch/~claudio/education/BAM/GAs.php

(**)

[*]
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/msg/212b0561b3c41169