Re: What's going on here (Table-generated lists)?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98177] Re: What's going on here (Table-generated lists)?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 05:57:56 -0500 (EST)

On 3/31/09 at 4:17 AM, max at alcyone.com (Erik Max Francis) wrote:

>I see your point about weird corner cases, but I don't see how
>expilcit List detection would cause a problem with speed.  It would
>have to do it exactly once per call to Plot; it evaluates its
>argument, if its Head is a List, then it plots each element of that
>list with a different color; if not, then it plots whatever it can
>with one color.

Are you aware of a case where an explicit list is given to Plot
and it plots in a single color? My experience with Plot
indicates *everytime* I give Plot an explicit list as in

Plot[{a,b,c},{x,0,1}]

I get multiple colors. Note, any thing other than {a,b,c ...}
isn't an explicit list. Things that evaluate to lists plot in a
single color since Plot doesn't see them as lists.