Re: pdf export problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98191] Re: pdf export problem
  • From: hayes.tyler at gmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 06:00:35 -0500 (EST)

Hi Rob:

My comments are below....

On Mar 31, 5:14 am, ragfield <ragfi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > A couple of things:
> > [1] For obvious reasons, transparency doesn't work well, but if you
> > save using the "bitmap" that will solve that problem.
>
> Perhaps these reasons are less obvious than you think.  Transparent
> graphics export to PDF fine for me.  Could you explain what you mean
> by this?

I can only comment on this one, the posting below from someone else.
>From the Documentation Centre on Opacity:

Opacity
Opacity[a]
is a graphics directive which specifies that graphical objects which
follow are to be displayed, if possible, with opacity a.
Opacity[a, color]
uses the specified color with opacity a.
MORE INFORMATION
    * Opacity runs from 0 to 1, with 0 representing perfect
transparency.
    * If an opacity a object with color c1 is placed in front of an
object with color c2, the resulting color will be the blend ac1+(1-a)
c2.
    * If red and blue with opacity 0.5 are combined, the result is
purple=97not black, as it would be with physical monochromatic filters.
=BB
    * Opacity works in both 2D and 3D graphics.
    * It may take significantly longer to render 3D graphics that
involve transparent surfaces.
    * Graphics that involve transparency may need to be printed as
high-resolution bitmaps.

So, this last one is what I meant. And, from my experience, is true.

Cheers,

t.