Re: Imaginary numbers - most interesting points

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98721] Re: [mg98647] Imaginary numbers - most interesting points
  • From: peter <plindsay.0 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 04:26:21 -0400 (EDT)

"That this subject [imaginary numbers] has hitherto been surrounded by
mysterious obscurity, is to be attributed largely to an ill adapted
notation. If, for example, +1, -1, and the square root of -1 had been called
direct, inverse and lateral units, instead of positive, negative and
imaginary (or even impossible), such an obscurity would have been out of the
question. " -Gauss
Peter

2009/4/15 robert prince-wright <robertprincewright at yahoo.com>

> I have (perhaps unwisely!) decided to do a 'Pecha Kucha' on imagination
> .... or at least imaginary numbers. The audience are all engineers with hazy
> recollection of undergrad maths.
>
> If you are not familiar with Pecha Kucha, then its worth checking Youtube
> and doing some googling. Simplistically the concept is to share
> understanding of something using 20 slides. Each slide should convey as much
> as possible with as few words as possible, with the message limited to 20
> seconds!
>
> So, what is the most interesting thing about the imaginary number 'i' that
> you can think of, and how can it most simply be conveyed using Mathematica 7
> in Slide presentation form?
>
> I've started with the notion of polynomial roots, de Moivre, reflections
> etc. but would appreciate a wider view.

Peter Lindsay