Re: Re: Passing arrays to MathLink without extra memory allocation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98877] Re: [mg98805] Re: Passing arrays to MathLink without extra memory allocation
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 19:12:41 -0400 (EDT)

To further clarify Jens' points...it's a fundamental principle of modern
operating system design that separate processes are absolutely protected
from each other.  If one process is allowed to access another process's memory, then you've set up the preconditions which allow a rogue process
to destabilize the OS, or to create considerable security violations.

The reason why modern operating systems like Linux, MacOS X, and the
Windows NT line (2000, XP, Vista) are so much less likely to crash than
operating systems such as Mac System 9 and the Windows 9x line are because
of these protections.  Obviously, the OS itself and anything mapped
into the OS (most notably, hardware drivers) can still cause problems.
But modern OS architecture is very good at preventing a single application
from bringing down your entire machine.

I, for one, remember the days of Win9x and Mac System 9 (or, worse
yet, Win 3.1 and System 6), and believe me, we live in a *much* better
world, now.

There are two abstract possibilities for doing what you want, neither
of which can presently be done in Mathematica.

One is to use memory-mapped files.  This allows you to map a file (a
real, properly named file, or some temporary thing in the swap space)
into memory, and explicitly give other processes permissions to map the
same file into their own memory space.  That is, incidentally, one of
the methods MathLink uses for communicating (but in a buffered way...it's
not directly mapping internal structures).  The second is to write your
code as a DLL and have Mathematica run your code in its own process space.

In both, there are significant risks, as you now open up the list of
things that can crash Mathematica to not just issues in Mathematica,
but also to bugs which exist in the external code.  There are also some
other considerable complications which I'm glossing over a bit (Jens
rightly points out one of those...the internal data structures may be
quite sophisticated).

Nonetheless, I wouldn't go so far as to say that the problem is
insurmountable or that we'll never have other solutions.  But it's
certainly not there now.  Depending on your problem, though, other
solutions may very well be feasible.
Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com