Re: Creating a sign chart

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98896] Re: [mg98866] Creating a sign chart
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 05:09:08 -0400 (EDT)

f[x_] = Expand[(x - 1) (x - 3) (x - 7)]

x^3 - 11*x^2 + 31*x - 21

xmin = 0;
xmax = 8;

Plot[{f[x], f'[x], f''[x]}, {x, xmin, xmax}]

Transpose[Join[{{"f[x]", "f'[x]", "f''[x]"}},
   Table[If[# > 0, "+", If[# == 0, 0, "-"]] & /@
     {f[x], f'[x], f''[x]},
    {x, xmin, xmax, 1/4}]]] // Grid

Bob Hanlon

---- davef <davidfrick2003 at yahoo.com> wrote:

Is it possible to render a sign chart in Mathematica 10?

Typically a sign chart is used with the first and second derivatives to identify extrema.  I know there are other ways to convey this information.  However, in my case I  need to demonstrate a sign chart by means of an illustation.  I can create a graphic in Visio and import into Mathematica but I would prefer if there were a means of generating such a chart directly in Mathematica.

Something like:

Thanks for any ideas.
Dave
x2373