Creating a sign chart

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98866] Creating a sign chart
  • From: davef <davidfrick2003 at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 19:10:39 -0400 (EDT)

Is it possible to render a sign chart in Mathematica 10?

Typically a sign chart is used with the first and second derivatives to identify extrema.  I know there are other ways to convey this information.  However, in my case I  need to demonstrate a sign chart by means of an illustation.  I can create a graphic in Visio and import into Mathematica but I would prefer if there were a means of generating such a chart directly in Mathematica.

Something like:

Thanks for any ideas.
Dave
x2373