Re: How to get values from Manipulate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98968] Re: How to get values from Manipulate
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 06:35:56 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> just a simple question related to Manipulate[] - is there a way how to access the values set by slider in Manipulate?
>
> For example, I have the following code:
>
> m = Manipulate[
>    ListLinePlot[{
>      data,
>      {{xmin, 0}, {xmin, 100}}
>      }],
>    {xmin, 1, 10}
>    ]
>
> and after the user sets a value 'xmin', I would like to read it out. How?

It really depends on what you want to achieve, but the most simple
solution is to just set a global variable within the Manipulate:

Manipulate[
 parameter1 = n;
 Plot[Sin[n x], {x, 0, 2 \[Pi]}, Frame -> True, ImageSize -> 400],
 {n, 0, 1},
 ]

whenever you now access parameter1 it will have the value that is shown
in Manipulate. To refer to your other question, you can also make e.g. a
modal dialog which returns that value like so:

newvalue = DialogInput[DynamicModule[{parameter1 = 0},
  Column[{
    Manipulate[
     parameter1 = n;
     Plot[Sin[n x], {x, 0, 2 \[Pi]}, Frame -> True, ImageSize -> 400]
     ,
     {n, 0, 1},
     AppearanceElements -> None
     ],