Re: "A very large output was generated. Here is a sample

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99110] Re: [mg99088] "A very large output was generated. Here is a sample
  • From: danl at wolfram.com
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 01:17:09 -0400 (EDT)

> Hi there,
> I've recently upgraded to Mathematica 7.0.
>
> I find the box
> "A very large output was generated. Here is a sample of it:"
> quite annoying.
>
> I would like to copy and paste the output into a different Mathematica
> notebook.
> So I have to click on "Show Full Output" which takes ages to generate.
>
> Is there a default setting where I can force Mathematica to always
> give the
> Full Output rather than this annoying "A very large output..." box?
>
> Thanks!

Have a look at OutputSizeLimit and $OutputSizeLimit. You could try setting
to Infinity.

But...there is a very good chance this will not help at all to speed up
the process. Reason being, if clicking "Show Full Output" then takes a
long time, it is almost certainly because it in fact takes time to typeset
or for other reasons to print the output in question. Hence automatically
showing full output will still be slow; all it will save you in time is
that checkbox click.

This automatic output truncation behavior was introduced in version 6.
Many people, including myself, are quite happy to have it. Saves endless
time in outputting garbage, in situations where a typo or other user error
would cause a huge result. Such a feature had been frequently requested
prior to version 6.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research