Making your own Definitions using Operators without built in meanings

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102282] Making your own Definitions using Operators without built in meanings
  • From: "fizzy" <fizzycist at knology.net>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 04:26:47 -0400 (EDT)

In the BasicTypsetting pallete , under Operators, there is the 'x'
symbol (small 'x', 2nd 'x' in the row ) which is defined as Cross...and
also, there is CenterDot next to it which is not defined at all...

First, I wonder why the small 'x' is pre-defined as Cross whereas
CenterDot is not pre-defined as Dot?.....I would have assumed that
neither be defined or both be defined...

2nd....the Documentation shows how to define CenterDot as Dot , etc...so
no problem there....however, if I combine Del from the Pallette with
either the small 'x' or the CenterDot, e.g.

Del CenterDot f_:=Div[f], .....then I get an error message that Del
cannot be followed by CenterDot f_..........

and the same if I define.....

Del 'x' f_:=Curl[f]

Is there a way to do these??...

thank you....Jerry Blimbaum